Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Colorful Palate...

To know me is to know how much I adore my Vizsla (hungarian pointer), "Olive." Olive was preceded by an english pointer, "Sage," who was also pampered and spoiled during her 7 years with us. My hubby and I have been married for 9.5 years, and, much to our parents' chagrin, our dogs have been our only kids so far. 

As any parents would, we put much thought into the names for our "kids." The names that we chose, Olive and Sage, reflect both my husband's and my careers - a food for him (the dietician) and a color for me (the designer). I'm hoping it's a while before we have to get another dog, because I'm drawing a blank for names that aren't awkward to yell out in back yard, "Come here, Eggplant!", "Fetch the ball, Mustard!" We might get some funny looks (more than usual that is) from the neighbors.

I lost track of Sage's breeder, but if anyone wants information about Vizslas (breed pictured here), I highly recommend our breeder Michel Berner of Mira Vizslas.
I received a forward the other day that had a list of things that we can learn from dogs. Here are just a few of my favorites:
  • When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
  • Take naps and stretch before rising.
  • Run, Romp, and Play daily.
  • Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
  • When you are happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
  • Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
  • When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.
Life is definitely better with a dog at your side!

No comments:

Post a Comment