Tuesday, February 24, 2009

There's hope for Spring...


There seems to be little to give hope these days in Minnesota that winter will end and that Springtime will arrive, but I found a glimmer of hope today when I looked out at our gnome named McRayski. McRayski is our family's summer vacation mascot at Pelican Beach Resort near Nisswa, MN. Every year now for 3 years, my husband and I have rented a cabin there along with my brother, his wife and now 2 kids. We have started a barbecue smoking competition with our neighboring cabin-renters who are also there the same week every year. McRayski is the trophy and, last year, my hubby was the champion! McRayski stands proudly on our deck through rain, snow, more snow and scorching sun and will make his journey back to Pelican Lake with us this next July. He's been covered in snow for a VERY long time now. I think the last time I saw more than half of his body was back in December sometime... maybe longer. I long for the day that he's sitting on our picnic table up at the cabin, the temperature is WAY above freezing and I'm sipping on a cocktail while I watch my husband put his special rub on the meat about to go in the smoker! I leave you tonight with warm thoughts!

1 comment: