Friday, May 15, 2009

Feeling official...

The past 7 1/2 months, since my departure from a "real job" at a design firm, has been quite a journey. Between the launch of Paisley Prints Etc. (my online card shoppe) six months ago and the freelance design jobs that I've been blessed to get hired for, I've found myself busier than ever with design projects... and I'm loving it! It mentally wears me out sometimes, a sort of creative overload at times, but it's a good exhaustion. Although I'm not a runner, I'd compare it to how a runner feels physically exhausted after a long race, but how it's all worth it because of the sense of accomplishment the run gave them. Maybe that sounds weird or over-exaggerated, but it makes sense to me. 

A few things recently happened to help me feel like my venture of being self-employed is no longer just something that I'm trying out, rather it's starting to feel "official". When people ask me, "So, what do you do for a living," I feel that I can finally confidently say, "I am a freelance graphic designer with an online custom card and stationery shoppe." One of the things to happened is that I hit the mark of **100 sales** on my etsy shoppe! Yay! Another stepping stone is that, for the first time, I am having a 4"x5" color print advertisement published for Paisley Prints Etc. 

Here it is!

The ad is going to be printed in a 44-page program booklet for a fundraising Gala that one of my clients, HospiceCare in the Berkshires, is hosting in June. I was lucky enough to be asked to design their Gala invitations (photos to come soon, hopefully, for you to see them), promotional items, as well as, the Gala program. Running my ad is not only promotional for me, but it's also supporting a wonderful company and group of people. Most hospicecare duties are not fun, yet so incredibly necessary and valuable. 

The past 7 1/2 months have given me the opportunity to meet some amazing new people and to work on some really fun design projects. Thank you to all that have been part of my journey so far. I can't wait for what the future has in store for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment